SUMMARY: White Space in URL's?

Tim Evans (tkevans@eplrx7.es.duPont.com)
Sat, 30 Jul 1994 06:05:50 +0200

Earlier, I wrote:

>How can white space be included in URL's in such a way that
>they get interpreted properly? For example, Macintosh ftp
>servers frequently have Mac-type folder names, which can
>have spaces in them. How does one specify an URL to access
>such a folder? Thanks.

Thanks to the following for the unanimous answer:

John Labovitz <johnl@ora.com>
miked@CERF.NET (Michael A. Dolan)
mueller@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Peter Mueller)
lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk (Chris Lilley, Computer Graphics Unit)
John Studarus <studarus@cadence.com>
Paul Phillips <paulp@is.internic.net>
Christian L. Mogensen <mogens@CS.Stanford.EDU>
Fisher Mark <@fallst.es.dupont.com:tcemail!is3.indy.tce.com!FisherM@uunet.uu.net>

Whitespace (and other non-printing characters) can be represented with
hexadecimal equivalents, preceded by the '%' sign. This, an URL with
"foo bar" in it would be something like:

ftp://hostname/pub/foo%20bar

In my particular case, unfortunately, version 2.1.0 of "Peter's Macintosh
FTP" server refuses such URL's.

--
Tim Evans | E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
tkevans@eplrx7.es.dupont.com | Experimental Station