Re: Network Abuse by Netscape? -- Was: Mosaic replacements, etc...

Robert A. Lentz (lentz@annie.astro.nwu.edu)
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 21:26:10 +0100

On Sat, 22 Oct 1994, Robert Raisch wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 1994, Internet Presence Inc. wrote, on the inet-marketing
> mailing list, regarding the approach Netscape takes to retrieving all of
> the graphical elements of a web document all at once:
>
> > We've noticed that now, 4-5 "hits" will just pop up in the logs at
> > once when people use Netscape or WebExplorer. It's no big deal.
>
> Sorry, but it is a very big deal indeed. I have great concern over the
> technical implications of this approach and I am not alone.

In my opinion, the technical implications have been with us for a long time,
ever since people started playing with whimsical inlined images. The root
problem is not in efficent/piggy (take your pick, I view it as efficient but
I have heard some people call it "piggy") browsers, but rather in people
polluting the data environment with irrelevant glitz.

(Not to mention that we should all be using caches anyhow, thus saving a lot
of bandwidth.)

-Robert Lentz

--
lentz@annie.astro.nwu.edu            http://www.astro.nwu.edu/lentz/plan.html
	"You have to push as hard as the age that pushes against you."