Re: Deploying new versions [Was: Versioning HTML at the

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 04:32:35 +0100

Well, fine, servers serve HTML 2.0 docs as "text/html" and
HTML 3.0 docs as "text/html; version=3.0". Browsers that implement all
or part of HTML 3.0 should send an Accept field of "text.html;
version=3.0", so servers can optionally be intelligent about what
versions of documents they serve. The only missing link I see is how
document authors tell servers their documents are HTML 3.0 - most servers
base this on file extension (i.e., .html files are "text/html") so I
don't see an easy way around defining a common file extension like .htm3
or something.

Brian