Re: Deploying new versions [Was: Versioning HTML at the server]

Jon P. Knight (J.P.Knight@lut.ac.uk)
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 12:15:35 +0100

On Mon, 31 Oct 1994 lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's a little late; virtually every existing browser
> will barf on parameters in content-types, and even if these errors are
> fixed tomorrow (which I've seen little sign they will be, I pointed
> out this problem a couple times months ago and have seen no progress
> towards fixing it) it'll be a problem for years.

On a similar line, would it be too much to ask to have browser writers for
non-UNIX platforms agree on a location for mailcap file for their
respective machines? At the moment, excellent browsers such as MacWeb
keep their MIME mappings to themselves which means that you have to
replicate the MIME typing information that you use for every new
application that wishes to use MIME types. It would be nice if you could
just have a single file to specify the mappings for all browsers, mailers,
etc as on UNIX platforms. Of course, these application should still
provide the user with nice interfaces for editing the MIME information.

Just a thought,

Jon

Jon Knight, Research Student in High Performance Networking and Distributed
Systems in the Department of _Computer_Studies_ at Loughborough University.
* It's not how big your share is, its how much you share that's important *