Re: <ISINDEX PROMPT="xyz">

Paul Phillips (">psphilli@sdcc8.UCSD.EDU)
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 20:43:19 +0100

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994, Rob Hartill wrote:

> The question is, is a browser broken if it fails to give even a default
> prompt when a prefered prompt is specified ?. I think and hope the answer
> is yes.

If a browser understands the base tag but not an attribute, the entire
tag should not be ignored. This probably isn't terribly well defined;
browsers should really support a strict subset of HTML and all tags
defined therein, but the malleability of the spec and the way it has
evolved makes that difficult. Imagine if browsers that don't support <P
ALIGN="CENTER"> ignored the paragraph tag altogether.

-Paul Phillips