Newspaper Delivery System - Informal Specification
This document is an informal specification of a newspaper delivery system which keeps
track of our customers (hereafter referred to as households),
our suppliers of newspapers and magazines (referred to as
publications), and any subscriptions the households may have. As well, it should
keep track of route
information for our delivery staff (referred to as carriers)
and their routes,
billing information for our finance and sales
department, and be able to produce summary information
for the top executives.
We list the types of information that must be stored, followed by the
functional requirements for that area of the system.
Primary information required for household is as follows:
Secondary information that is required consists of the following:
- Name (surname, first name)
- Address (street, house number, apartment number and postal code)
- Phone number
- Details of what newspapers or magazines the household is currently
- Present credit on the household account. A positive balance will
imply a prepayment on the account, while a negative balance implies
an amount owed.
- A notes section to help the delivery people be aware of any special
instructions indicated by the household. For example, leaving the
newspaper in front of the door instead of leaving it in the mail
- A route name to identify which route the household is related to.
Nothing done here yet!
Carriers make deliveries to households. They are identified by:
- Add - The system must be able to include a customer to our data base.
- Delete - The system must be able to remove a customer from our data
- Modify - The system must be able to change any of the above
information on damand.
- Suspend - The system must be able to hold a customer account for a
specific time period or indefinitely. This option is used
when household goes on vacation or other reasons.
It must be possible to create and delete carriers, and modify their
identifying information (for example if they change phone numbers).
- Name (Surname, first name)
- Address (Street, House Number, Apartment number and Postal Code)
- Phone number
Each carrier delivers to a route, which is a set of households
When a household is created, it must be automatically inserted into
a route based on postal code information.
It must be possible to move a household to a different route.
A deleted household must be removed from the route it is on.
When a carrier is created, their route will be empty.
A carrier can be deleted only when their route is empty.
The system must be able to provide the following information
On a video display, it must be possible to enter a household
and determine the carrier responsible for deliveries to that
household, as well as the subscriptions to be delivered on the
If the route is entered, all households on the route
must be displayed on the video screen, and it must be possible to
page up and down through the list.
It must also be possible to enter a route and view the total
number of deliveries for each product on the current day.
When a delivery is made to a carrier, a printout
of the days deliveries will be attached.
The system should provide this printout when a single route
is selected, or for the entire set of routes. The printout
On page one:
The carrier name, address and phone number.
A list of NEW households new to the route for the current day.
A list of households with suspended deliveries on that day (vacations).
On successive pages:
On one line, the household street address and the subscriber name.
On following lines, indented, each product to be delivered
on the current day, and the number of copies if greater than one.
The deliveries to one household will be followed by a blank line,
and cannot cross a page fold in the printout.
2107 Slowpoke Street Fred Manure
2119 Slowpoke Street Alison Smith
The end page(s) of the printout for a route will contain a listing
of the number of each product to be delivered. At the start of
the day's deliveries, the carrier must determine that the bundle
received contains sufficient product for the route. Also to
listed on this page is the depot phone number, to be contacted by
the carrier if errors have occured.
- Ability to generate bills for all households with outstanding
balances upon request. All household information and our company
letterhead should be produced at the top of the bill. All of the
households subscriptions should be on the same bill, with a
bottom-line total of the amount owed. Any late charges and expiry
date for each subscription should be listed as well. All of the
transactions since the last time a bill was printed for this
household should be listed (eg. payments received, new subscriptions,
- When payments are received from households, we need to be able to
update their record of outstanding balance.
- A summary sheet should be produced on request with the total owed
for each publication by all households subscribed. This should just
be a list of publications, and the number of subscriptions and total
amount owed for each.
- Ability to generate a daily summary information showing how many
copies of each publication were sold that day. The number of copies
sold and the total monetary value should be included. We would like
this in two formats:
- For each publication, a separate sheet listing sales by route,
with a total at the bottom.
- A grand-summary sheet with all publications totals, and one
bottom-line total for the day.
Back to the CPSC 451 Customer Group #7 Documents
Last Modified Jan. 15, 1996 by