Re: <pre>

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Thu, 06 Oct 1994 10:32:55 -0500

In message <199410061400.KAA13006@eies.njit.edu>, James Whitescarver writes:
>It is not clear to me that <pre> should ignore CR. I think this is a bug
>in the our browsers. The intent of <pre> was that such things are NOT
>ignored. The specs may be wrong too. :)

This issue came up on the HTML Working group list.

The current practice[1] is that the LF character is what matters.

The spec will say that CRLF is the correct way to break a line,
but it will encourage browser implementors to accept LF alone
as a linebreak, and caution authors and editor implementors
that CR alone will _not_ work. (right, Mike?)

Dan

[1] http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML/html-archive.messages/432.html