Re: Can't find <open-quote>, <close-quote> characters in spec

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
Wed, 2 Nov 94 11:47:39 EST

Tim Pierce writes:
> I like it. I assume that the spec will recommend that the
> exact choice of quoting characters be a browser-configurable
> option? Otherwise we'll be in danger of enforcing cultural
> imperialism on cross-continental platforms.

Interesting...do we leave it to browser-users/maintainers to configure
(say in Germany) <q>this</q> to equate to ,,this``, even if they are
viewing a document written in Portguese, because that is local practice,
or should we allow <q open=",," close="``"> so that multilanguage docs
can carry the relevant language-specific `practice' with them? Maybe have
lang-spec browser defaults but allow author-spec in the markup...

///Peter