Re: Ems in tables

Christian Mogensen (mogens@CS.Stanford.EDU)
Sun, 26 Mar 95 17:38:54 EST

Jon_Bosak@Novell.COM writes:
>So if the sentence immediately preceding the <table> tag is
> ... the command to format a diskette is FORMAT A: /U.
>(where "FORMAT A: /U" is in monospaced Courier but the rest is in
>proportionally spaced Times) then "em" in the table that follows means
>the em of the Courier font. But if I change my mind and edit the
>sentence to read
> ... the command FORMAT A: /U can be used to format a diskette.
>then "em" in the table that follows is now suddenly the em of the
>Times font.

Well, no: since you would then be mixing charcter markup with paragraph
marks. i.e. there is an implied </P> after the full stop in the sentence,
before the <table> (Right?) Hence the character set should default to the
page default.

The EM used in computation of the table is the default font for the page,
whether specified by style sheet or by a menu selection in the browser.
Changes in the font beyond that should be dealt with by the page creator,
since they insist on doing these things.

I thought the point was to mark things up logically, not get caught up in
whether adding <B> to a title will force a title to be re-wrapped because
the Bold typeface is slightly wider...

|This is a Title| |*This is a |

is what should happen (IMHO) when the contents of the cell are bolded and the
cell width is set at 14 ems. Ems are a convenience, since they allow us to
create tables with estimates rather than having to compute the exact
number of picas needed for each cell.

Christian "webhead <*>"