Re: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Francois Yergeau (yergeau@alis.ca)
Fri, 28 Apr 95 17:23:00 EDT

>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 95 16:57:19 EDT
>From: Jon_Bosak@Novell.COM
>
>[Albert Lunde:]
>
>| I was under the impression we needed this (10646 as the standard document
>| character set) for 2.0 in some form to resolve the question of numeric
>| character references, or else we needed to remove some language about other
>| charsets and make 2.0 talk about Latin-1 only.
>|
>| (I'm basing this on the response we got from SGML folks a few weeks back,
>| that raised the importance of resolving this issue.)
>
>I was assuming from recent comments about 2.0 being frozen that it was
>too late for that. If it's still possible to get this into 2.0, then
>I would certainly be in favor of doing so.

It should be possible if there is a consensus. The impression I got
back from the last IETF was that 2.0 should contain just enough not to
close the door to i18n and still be SGML conformant, which I take to
mean solve the numerical character reference problem. All other i18n
issues were to be deferred to a new document (a 2.x delta), that I am
starting to draft with Gavin Nicol and Glenn Adams.

--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.ca>
Alis Technologies Inc., Montréal