Re: HTML 2.0 LAST CALL: Numeric character refs

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Thu, 1 Jun 95 13:41:16 EDT

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Dan Connolly wrote:

> dwm@shell.portal.com writes:
> >
> > Yes, that would satisfy me! I want the standard to be clear that it
> > isn't acceptable to lose content either explictly or as LarryM
> > illustrated by turning it into a useless character string. With the
> > above or even simply leaving 
>
> Let's get focused here: which parts of the HTML 2.0 spec do you
> want changed? What wording would you suggest?

In reference to 5/51 postscript#2, page 1333, section 3.2.1, change
the last sentence of the first paragraph to read:

On the other hand, references to undeclared entities
+ and numeric character references which cannot be resolved
+ (e.g., are out of range)
should be treated as data characters.

The +ed lines are added words, no deletions.

Change the last to lines of the example to show:

Let α, β and 𒭧 be finite sets.
=> "Let α, β and &76647; be finite sets."

Dave Morris