Re: More syntax details in HTML 2.0?

Murray Maloney (murray@sco.COM)
Tue, 20 Jun 95 10:02:04 EDT

Peter Flynn writes:
> Joe English writes:

[...]
> One approach is to use a URI for the DTD's system identifier:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/pubtext/html-4.dtd">
>
> It's better to use a PUBLIC identifier, but there is (so far)
> no way to automatically resolve them.
>
> I thought the whole point of a PUBLIC indentifier was that there _was_
> a way to resolve them: there has been discussion of this in c.t.s,
> sgml-l, tei-l etc on and off for some time, and I thought someone
> (Eliot Kimber?) posted examples of what directories/folders were
> "expected" by the default configurations of common parser software (ie
> how the PUBLIC identifier string mapped to directories given certain
> conventions or defaults).

That is the whole point.

See the Abstract of SGML Open Technical Resolution 9401:1994

http://www.sgmlopen.org/sgml/docs/general/entity.htm

Anyone using a parser will have to get a copy of the DTD and
include an appropriate declaration in their entity catalog.

Dan has explicitly specified the appropriate declarations
for the HTML DTD in the spec.

Murray