ACTION re: HTML 3: Too many tags!

Ka-Ping Yee (kryee@novice.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 26 Jul 95 05:06:25 EDT

A week ago, i wrote a message here lamenting the ridiculous proliferation
of easily-abusable tags[1, 2] in the proposed HTML 3.0 specification[3].

Aside from a discussion about whether <Q> actually has a distinct semantic
meaning then <BLOCKQUOTE>, responses generally agreed that most of the
other tags i mentioned were not necessary. Specifically, they are:

CODE KBD AU ACRONYM ABBREV INS DEL S U BIG SMALL

The above tags are unnecessary for reasons explained in [4] and summarized
at the end of this message.

To me, they are simply unacceptable. I would like to have them removed.

How can i go about accomplishing this (or finding adequate justification
for each and every one of them, which at the moment is sorely lacking)?

[1] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3/logical.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3/emphasis.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3/CoverPage.html
[4] http://gummo.stanford.edu/html/hypermail/www-html-1995q3/0280.html

CODE, KBD: redundant. Use SAMP.
AU: too specific. apply attributes of all kinds to PERSON instead.
ACRONYM, ABBREV: redundant. Use DFN.
INS, DEL: too specific. apply attributes to P instead.
S, U, BIG, SMALL: purely presentational markup. doesn't belong in HTML.

and i still wonder about:
Q: too specific. are we going to mark up <PAREN>, <SENTENCE>, etc. also?

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee): 2B Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
kryee@csclub.uwaterloo.ca | 62A Churchill St, Waterloo N2L 2X2, 519 886-3947
CWSF 89, 90, 92; LIYSF 90, 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91, 93; ACMIPC 94
:: Skuld :: Tendou Akane :: Belldandy :: Ayukawa Madoka :: Hayakawa Moemi ::
New! <http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/kryee/> Yeah, i finally made a home page.