Re: Is this use of BASE kosher?

Dave Hollander (dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com)
Thu, 3 Aug 95 14:13:38 EDT

murray.altheim@nttc.edu wrote:

> ...I have found a great deal of use of BASE in
> both storing and transmitting HTML documents, precisely "recorded in
> situations in which the document may be read out of context". ...

I agree. The base is powerful and perhaps to powerful.

> ...I cannot fathom why this thread has gone on so long.

I can. This chain has uncovered several questions about HTML 2.0 and
RFC 1808. *according to the standard*:
1) what is the proper treatment of fragments
2) what is the proper character set for URLs and fragments
3) what is the purpose of the base tag

I addition, the issue highlights inconsistancies in how several browsers
and versions of the same browser handle these details.

Regards
Dave Hollander