Re: Is this use of BASE kosher?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Thu, 3 Aug 95 15:41:24 EDT

In message <199508031749.KAA19820@shell1.best.com>, "Peter K. Sheerin" writes:

>Same document as above, but with a BASE URL in the header that points to
>the current document (http://www.hp.com/Misc/Peripherals.html).

>... discovers that the
>implied BASE URL (the document's location on my disk) is different from
>the header-specified BASE URL, decides the latter is correct, and tries
>to go get *that* document.

>We need to address this because the two biggest browser vendors have
>interpreted this 180 degrees out of synch, and because it affects how all
>of us write HTML documents, period.

I believe that those implementations are not in conflict with the
current HTML 2.0 draft, but that they are stupid and brain-dead
nonetheless.

I can't think of anything to put in the spec that will make that
behaviour illegal that won't sound stupid like "don't do what
Netscape does in this case."

Would you care to suggest some wording?

Dan