Re: draft-ietf-html-table...

Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@cs.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 3 Aug 95 21:30:37 EDT

Lou Montulli writes:

> I think the draft spec should avoid the conflict with BORDER and
> use BORDERSTYLE or something similar. We have been very good
> about not introducing conflicts between any of our extensions
> and existing specifications and would appreciate the same in return.

Then how do you explain <CENTER>, which is different than <? ALIGN=CENTER>
that was proposed *and* implemented by other browsers before you introduced
<CENTER>? And why do you still advocate its use? [1]

Also, <TABLE BORDER=0> will give a border on browsers which implemented
the proposed table specification [2], which is different than Netscape's
behavior [3]. I think a better way of introducing this experimental
extension would have been to introduce a BORDERWIDTH attribute, or,
better yet, implement style sheets and add all the fancy formatting
stuff you want there.

I'm sorry if this is somehow "out of line", and I don't mean to start a
flamewar, but I find the paragraph quoted above extremely hard to accept.

> Since there are lots of people using BORDER in current documents
> they obviously find it useful, therefore you should consider adding
> BORDER as well as BORDERSTYLE to the table spec.

Would this argument carry the same weight if we changed "BORDER" to "BLINK"?

I'm not suggesting that these two things are somehow equal to each other,
only that the decision to add something to HTML should be based on its own
merit rather than the degree to which a particular non-standard extension
has been used by people who are knowingly playing with experimental HTML.

> If you argue that it belongs in stylesheets I can understand that,
> but then why are you adding BORDERSTYLE as an attribute and not as
> part of a stylesheet.

Does Netscape have a target date for when their first implementation of
style sheets will appear? It would be nice if HTML authors didn't have
to use non-standard HTML to be able to suggest presentation hints; it
would reduce the need to add things to HTML just because people have
started to use them.

Gerald
[1] http://home.mcom.com/assist/net_sites/html_extensions.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3/tables.html