Re: simple HTML list considered harmful

montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu (Lou Montulli)
From: montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu (Lou Montulli)
Subject: Re: simple HTML list considered harmful
To: kevin@scic.intel.com (Kevin Altis)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 18:30:54 CDT
Cc: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch

> Well, I don't know how I managed to write so much HTML without coming
> across this problem before, but I ran into the following today. I wanted to
> have a simple block of text, I'll use an address as an example:
>
> First Last
> Address line 1
> Address line 2
> City, State, Zip
> Phone
> Fax
> email
>
> I wanted the lines to appear exactly as above. If I used a <P> at the end
> of each line, I would get unwanted leading between lines. If I use the
> <PRE> tag then the text would have to appear in a monospaced typeface. If I
> used the <UL>, <OL>, <MENU>... lists then I get bullets or numbers in front
> of the lines. If I did something like:

The solution is to use the linebreak tag <br>.  <br> was recently
added to HTML 1.0 so it isn't supported in all browsers yet, but it
soon will be.  Lynx currently has it, as well as the emacs browser.
Xmosaic will include it in an upcoming release.

so you would say:
<address>First Last<br>
Address line 1<br>
Address line 2<br>