Re: simple HTML list considered harmful

montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu (Lou Montulli)
From: montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu (Lou Montulli)
Subject: Re: simple HTML list considered harmful
To: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 11:39:56 CDT

> Some of your have mentioned the <BR> (line break) tag as a solution to
> Kevin's problem of how to layout postal addresses in a proportional font.
>
> Many people have suggested that <BR> isn't quite right during the WWW workshop
> and in subsequent discussions. Would anyone object to the proposal to replace
> it with the <L> tag which acts as a container for the following line, e.g.
>
> With slight simplifications, this would be defined by:
>
>         <!ELEMENT P - O (L+ | %text;)>
>         <!ATTLIST P id ID #IMPLIED>
>
>         <!ELEMENT L - O (%text;)>
>         <!ATTLIST L id ID #IMPLIED>
>
> e.g. for Kevin's purpose:
>
>         <P>
>         <L>First Last
>         <L>Address line 1
>         <L>Address line 2
>         <L>City, State, Zip
>         <L>Phone
>         <L>Fax
>         <L>email
>
> <L> is cleaner than <BR> since:
>
>     a)  Each line of text is contained by the preceding <L>
>         whereas <BR> acted as a line separator. Thus <P> and <L>
>         use the same model and are a better fit with SGML practice
>
>     b)  <L> allows you to identify each line explicitly, e.g. for
>         hypertext links or other cross references
>
> I will have the new draft for HTML+ as a discussion paper within a few days,
> and would very much like peoples views and suggestions on this and other
> topics.

Ok, lets see if I understand this correctly.  Someone asks me how to
get a linebreak in the middle of a paragraph without puting in an
extra space.  So I tell them to put in two <L>'s, one at the
beginning of the paragraph and one at the point of break:

   <para>
   <l>This is an example paragraph. This is an example paragraph.
   This is an example paragraph. This is an example paragraph.
   This is an example paragraph. This is an example paragraph.
   I want a break after this line.
   <l>There was a break right before this line.  This has been
   an example paragraph.</para>

If I was a normal user (at times I consider myself normal), I would
find this completely insane.  When I want to do a linebreak I put
in a linebreak tag, it should be as simple as that.

Many of you will say that this won't matter once we have WYSIWYG editors,
but 'I don't see no editors', and I have the feeling I never will.

:lou
  *           T H E   U N I V E R S I T Y   O F   K A N S A S              *
  *         Lou  MONTULLI @ Ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu                           *
  *                         Kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      ACS Computing Services *
  *     913/864-0436        Ukanvax.bitnet             Lawrence, KS 66044  *
  *             UNIX! Cool! I know that!  Jurassic Park - The Movie        *