Re: remote learning using Mosaic

vinay@eit.com (Vinay Kumar)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 16:55:14 PDT
From: vinay@eit.com (Vinay Kumar)
To: www-talk@library.ucsf.edu
Subject: Re: remote learning using Mosaic
This was my response to an earlier email from Rich Brandwein@ATT, which
by mistake i forgot to CC: to this mailing list.

--------
  I am not using Collage, i am using a standard, fairly simple communication
  mechanism to do this. If all the parties involved in interaction have
  multicast-IP kernels installed, then there is absolutely no problem. The
  multicast packets would hop thru standard ip-routers without any problems.
  Standard ip-routers see multicast packets as standard ip-packets (IP in IP
  encapsulation) , so would work just fine !

  Upgrading your Unicast Unix kernel to Multicast is not too difficult, lot
  of people are already doing it. Patches to do this are available for free.

  As for non-multicast ip machines, my version of xmosaic works fine for
  point-to-point scenario.

  --
    Vinay Kumar
  vinay@collage.eit.com