Re: simple HTML list considered harmful

Tony Sanders <sanders@bsdi.com>
To: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
Subject: Re: simple HTML list considered harmful
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 10:32:17 -0500
From: Tony Sanders <sanders@bsdi.com>
> > Dave R. writes:
> > This means you can't tag a paragraph/line with an identifier or
> > rendering attributes such as alignment.

Marc A. replies:
> Why not have containers for doing those things, as now, and keep them
> away from the break concept and tags?

I wholeheartedly agree here.  Leave <P> and <BR> as they are (which is
really physical markup) and just define some new containers for doing
other stuff.  How about <PARA>...</PARA> for paragraphs?

What we need to decide is whether we want HTML+ to be backwards compatible
with HTML.   I see no compelling reason for this being the case.  I think
breaking from HTML will make it easier on authors (there will be less
confusion about which is which).  So long as HTML+ is a logical superset of
HTML then it will be easy to map HTML onto HTML+ (for both converters
and code sharing in the browsers).

--sanders