Re: A Truly Heretical Suggestion

Stan Letovsky <letovsky-stan@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 19:03:33 --100
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: Stan Letovsky <letovsky-stan@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: A Truly Heretical Suggestion
From:    Dave Raggett <dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date:    Mon, 28 Mar 94 17:07:50
To:      Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
---------

>Marc,
>
>> How about we take the state of the art of HTML plus forms as currently
>> supported in Mosaic for X 2.2 -- and either fully supported or getting
>> pretty damn close to being fully supported in a number of other
>> browsers -- and issue an informational RFC within the next month or
>> two, including a working & complete DTD.
..
As long as fill-out form wish-lists are being discussed --
although I suspect that any RFC will freeze the current
design and leave extensions to HTML+ -- my three favorites
are:

*row-extensible tabular arrays of input widgets for entry
and editing of tabular data -- we have a prototype that
allows any other fill-out widget to be used as a column

*a <pop> meta-directive that causes the previous document
to be popped from the client's document stack -- important
for preventing interactive multi-form dialogs from causing
progressive increases in stack depth

*arbitrary hashed widget attributes, settable by HTML commands,
which can be included in POST messages. Allows for structured
representations of interaction state.

I like the idea of putting names on submit button messages too.

-Stan