Re: NON delivery storms!

frystyk@ptsun00.cern.ch (Henrik Frystyk Nielsen)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 15:39:21 +0200
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: frystyk@ptsun00.cern.ch (Henrik Frystyk Nielsen)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: NON delivery storms!
Hi

Peter Mathews wrote

> I am getting multiple deliveries of the same message headed,
>
> Subj:   NON-DELIVERY of: NON-DELIVERY of: NON-DELIVERY of: NON-DELIVERY of:
>
> This is followed by several screens of messages of the type:
>
> Intended recpient(s): sbrown
> Failure reason: User sbrown not listed in public Name & Address Book
> O-CMS-ErrorsTo: listmas @ INTERNET (listmaster) {listmaster@www0.cern.ch}
>

> PLEASE DO SOMETHING IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

The reason is that we had a seriuos hardware breakdown on info.cern.ch. First
a memory failure and then a disk died. We temporaryly replaced it with an old
disk that hasn't been updated for two month. The result was that the list
processor used old mailing lists and hence tried to mail to non-existing
addresses.

We now have a new disk and recovered the data, so the problem should not
exist anymore.

Sorry for the inconvenience

--
Henrik Frystyk