RE: Accessing Mosaic from modem via X software?

rravi@msgate.cv.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 18:18:36 +0200
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: rravi@msgate.cv.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: RE: Accessing Mosaic from modem via X software?
>From jogden@netcom.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 23:03:09 PDT
From: Jonathan Ogden <jogden@netcom.com>
To: rravi@msgate.cv.com

I have found that NetManage Chameleon v4.02 combined with NCSA's Mosaic v.2.0a5

works great.  The reason I like NetManage Chameleon is that it is entirely

Windows-based -- some of the other solutions require that you dump out to DOS
first to

establish the SLIP or PPP connection.  Chameleon  handles SLIP, Compressed SLIP,

PPP, and Compressed PPP.  Compressed PPP, if your Internet Service Provider

supports it, is your best bet in terms of speed.  Also a 14.4 modem with v.32bis
and

v.42bis is essential.  Moreover, if it is an external modem, making sure that
your serial

port is 16550 UART possessed is good -- other than the chipset, 16550 UART
serial

ports most always have DB25 pin connectors as opposed to DB9 connectors.  This
will

allow your 14.4 v.32bis and v.42bis modem to connect up to the Internet Service

Provider at 57600 bps -- provided that your Internet Service Provider has a
similar

modem on their end.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to email here -- feel free to
distribute this if

you find it helps others.

-jonathan
-Jonathan Ogden
 President, The Interactive Center               DIGITAL
 jogden@netcom.com                                 BAYSIDE
                                                                 Santa Monica