Re: Issue tracking for HTML 2.0 document (HyperNews?)

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Wed, 21 Sep 94 11:42:16 EDT

In message <199409211504.IAA05927@rock>, Terry Allen writes:
>I took a look at Hypernews, and I have to say it looks like WIT
>all over again. We need to track issues, as Dan points out, but
>please let's not start all over again writing position papers.

I had no intention of doing that. I was just going to create
links from the hypernews structure to the html-wg archive.

>Plain email ought to work just fine and it's at least twice
>as fast.

As I outlined in my previous message, email isn't working. We do _not_
have a plan that gets the train to the station on time.

For example: can you list the outstanding issues and their status?
Can you give evidence that they will all be resolved before the
December IETF meeting? I can give evidence that they will not.

I'm interested in any solution to this problem except "let's keep
doing what we're doing."

I would expect email to remain one of the principal interfaces to the
system. Messages submitted to html-wg@oclc.org go into the hypermail
archive and get linked into the HyperNews tree. Perhaps we could build
a reverse gateway if folks are interested.

But I would like to be able to look at some page that gives the status
of all the issues in a nutshell, with links to background and
discussion.

I think HyperNews is worth a try. I'm willing to hear
alternatives. I'm not willing to sit back and wait. I have
made commitments to many folks that this document will be
done by December.

Dan