Re: Toward Graceful Deployment of Tables

Luke ~{B7?M~} (ylu@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 18:04:25 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Dan Connolly wrote:
>I wrote:
>>
>> Let me take the liberty to quote the specification you conveniently forgot:
>> ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-html-spec-01.txt
>> (which I find it hard to believe because you are a co-author of it :)
>>
>> 2.2 Undefined Tag and Attribute Names
>
>Just for the record: that section is in there because I couldn't get
>it removed (i.e. it has too much momentum), not because I think it
>belongs there. I don't think it provides a viable evolution strategy.
>I think it will be a support nightmare. I think it is a support
>nightmare.

Any major upgrade of any systems will bring support nightmare in terms of
compatibility issue. You think provide different versions of documents via
a format negotiation is less nighmarish? I don't think so.

--
Luke Y. Lu
mailto:ylu@mail.utexas.edu/