Re: META

Alex Hopmann (hopmann@holonet.net)
Tue, 4 Jul 95 16:37:07 EDT

On July 4, 1995, Glenn Adams says:
> Date: Tue, 4 Jul 95 15:46:57 EDT
> From: hopmann@holonet.net (Alex Hopmann)
>
> Now lets pretend for a minute that I'm a parser that doesn't understand
> <METADATA>. So I have no idea if <METADATA> is a HEAD tag or a BODY tag.
>
>Perhaps the current spec should be more specific about the treatment of
>such a non-conformant document. For example, it could say:
>
>1. An unknown element encountered within HEAD shall be interpreted as an
>implicit termination of HEAD and shall be interpreted according
>to the content model:
>
><!ELEMENT unknown - O ANY>
This causes the same problem that we have now. Namely if we add a <METADATA>
tag, and people put it in their documents, the contents of the metadata will
be displayed by browsers that don't understand metadata.

I suppose all-in-all this is a better solution than requireing a close on
the <HEAD> tag, however it still seems to point towards the advantage of
putting meta information into attributes (like META does)- It will more or
less not display on any browser.

Alex Hopmann
ResNova Software, Inc.
hopmann@holonet.net