Re: ACTION re: HTML 3: Too many tags!

James K. Tauber (jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au)
Wed, 26 Jul 95 19:43:40 EDT

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> In my opinion, annotations should be external to the document, not inside
> it. Annotations need a lot more flexibility than a few tags could
> provide - who is doing the INSerting and DELeting? Why? What about more
> than one annotation, where the second relies upon the first?

The elements could have attributes giving details of the annotator(s) and
reason(s) for the annotation. Much of the work on TEI would be helpful
comparison. Regarding annotations that rely on one another: tricky one,
but could we atleast partially solve it by allowing nested annotations.

Oh, and while I'm still thinking about TEI, it might be worth keeping
ABBREV so that an EXPN attribute can expand the abbreviation eg <ABBREV
EXPN="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</ABBREV>. Hard to do this with a
<DFN> element.

James K. Tauber <jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
University Computing Services and Centre for Linguistics
University of Western Australia, Perth, AUSTRALIA
http://www.uwa.edu.au/student/jtauber