Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-html-clientsideimagemap-01.txt

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Fri, 4 Aug 95 14:34:40 EDT

Does anyone still think there's a role for <MAP>, when <FIG> has all that
plus more? I sure don't.

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 Internet-Drafts@CNRI.Reston.VA.US wrote:
> The markup language known as "HTML/2.0" provides for image maps. Image
> maps are document elements which allow clicking on different areas of an
> image to reference different network resources, as specified by Uniform
> Resource Locators (URIs). The image map capability in HTML/2.0 is limited
> in several ways, such as the restriction that it only works with documents
> served via the "HTTP" protocol,

Not true - you can have hotareas on the map pointing to any type of URL,
though the imagemap program (which translates points in the form of
<URL?a,b> into a redirect for the right resource) has to be on a protocol
which has the concept of a redirection (which right now is only
implemented in HTTP).

> and the lack of a viable fallback for users
> of text-only browsers.

Also not true. The imagemap program can display a text-only menu when
given no arguments.

Actually I'm of the opinion that imagemap functionality is a function of
the map itself (i.e., the image file type should be "network aware",
PNG maybe?) rather than the HTML file in which the map is embedded, but
if we're going to do it this way let's do it with FIG.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/