Re: The Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented Internet Resource Guides

Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@www3.cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 10:55:57 +0100
From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@www3.cern.ch>
To: Lou Rosenfeld <lou@churchst.ccs.itd.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: The Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented Internet Resource Guides
Cc: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch, Jill.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk,
        itti-networks@mailbase.ac.uk, network-training-tf@mailbase.ac.uk,
        lis-planeteers@mailbase.ac.uk, wg-isus@rare.nl, lou@umich.edu,
        us-wg@nic.near.net
[For www wizards, there is some background to the clearinghouse
at the end of the message. This is a source of hypertextable
stuff, for anyone in a linking mood...]

>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 13:51:04 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Lou Rosenfeld <lou@churchst.ccs.itd.umich.edu>
> The Clearinghouse' mission (at present) is
>to provide subject-oriented information in the *lowest common
>denominator*, i.e., ASCII texts.  Other formats (e.g., WWW) are
goals for
>now which we'd love to do.  The reasons for this are as follows:
>
>1)  Many Internet users do not have access to higher level tools,
like
>Gopher and WWW, due to their hardware configurations and
connectivity.

Yes, one would want to provide data in both forms from the
same source.

>ASCII guides ensure the widest possible access.

They can be generated from the HTML very simply:
	www -n xxxx.html > xxx.txt

>2)  Most of the guides are produced around the Net in ASCII format;
we are
>just trying to collect them in one central location.

That is the crunch.  One has to get the raw information in the
form easiest for the originator.  Perhaps a simple task-oriented
markup could be used -- anything which could later be machine-
munged into both HTML and plain ASCII versions.  You might be
interested in the UU-NNA's input form
<http://sturgeon.mit.edu:8001/uu-nna/meta-library/admin/format.html>
and the subject list and coverage codes which are linked to it.

>3)  We don't have a formal staff to create HTML docs or other
formats
>right now.  In fact, we don't really have a staff.  New means for
>accessing the Clearinghouse will depend upon either me learning new
>formats like HTML (on my list of things to do), my students' ability
>learn and produce these documents in new formats, or the efforts of
other
>volunteers (ideally, someone who is reading this message! ;-) ).

	That, after all, was how the Library of Congress stuff
	(now "EXPO") came on line: Frans Van Hoesel

	<mailto:hoesel@chem.rug.nl> just noticed that the FTP
	archive of the Vatican Library Renaissance Culture
	exhibit just cried out for being in hypertext. Maybe
	you can find your Frans van Hoesel.

> I don't know anything about the UU_NNA
>metalibrary, so a pointer would be appreciated.  I know a little
about
>O'Reilly, but don't have a pointer at this moment and would
appreciate
>someone who has it handy sending it to me so I can have a look.

	All the other virtual library top nodes I know of
	(including now your gopher tree) can be found by following
	references from the end of our virtual library top level. See
  <http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/DataSources/bySubject/Overview.html>

>only way to feasibly create something that works.  One problem I've
seen
>with many subject-oriented gophers, for example, is that the
>administrators cannot keep up with the volume of resources.  Perhaps
>someone reading this would consider systematically creating a
>clearinghouse of Internet how-to's and other guides?  Or has some
NIC
>somewhere already done this?

	There are so many (collections of)**n collections about
	the internet that someone ought to make a collection of
	them ;-)...

	And I must say that the aim of the web is to make an
	understanding of the ins and outs of the net unnecessary:
	it is the real information people should be dealing with,
	not the differences between FTP and "finger".

<http://info.cerm.ch/hypertext/DataSources/News/Groups/bit.html>)
>> 5.  The general information which is repeated under many headings
>>     be reduced, using cross-references instead.
>
>I agree with many of these ideas, and would love to implement them,
but
>many of these require editing works that are someone else's
>intellectual property.

	Hmmm... I suggest you ask for a limited copyright
	waiver allowing you editing rights as a matter of course.
	Also, you might ask for update rights in the event
	that the original author does not maintain the list.

> I'd love some help in creating more detailed
>guidelines (perhaps starting with those Tim mentions above) to pass
on to
>my students.

	There is a guide to hypertext style on the web which
	might provide some more points.  I'd like to add any futher
	guidelines to it, or put in a section specifically on making
	lists of resources, if you would be interested.

Tim Berners-Lee
World-Wide Web project

Excerpts from Lou Rosenfeld's Original message: