Re: The Superhighway Steamroller (Corrections)

ekatz@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Eric Katz)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 15:33:38 +0200
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: ekatz@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Eric Katz)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: The Superhighway Steamroller (Corrections)
Dr. Hart,

I am the Information Server Administrator at NCSA and as such have configured
and maintained the NCSA WWW server since it's inception.  I would request
that you correct the following information that you have published in
`The Superhighway Steamroller'

1) NCSA has never used any of it's SuperComputers as any sort of information
   server.  This simply was not necessary.  We are currently using
   Round-Robin DNS to rotate through four Hewlett-Packard 735's on an FDDI ring.
   This is necessary because we are handling in excess of 1.7 million
   connections per week.  I will not attempt to justify our allocation of
   resources at this time but it is important that you correct the fact that we
   have not dedicated a Cray for this purpose.

2) NCSA does still maintain a 3 shift Operations Staff which provides 24 hour/
   7 day a week coverage on all of the supercomputers, our HTTP server, and our
   gopher server.  I am in the process of upgrading our FTP server and
   will be including it in the 24/7 coverage.

I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have regarding
Information Servers at NCSA prior to future publications.

I trust you will disseminate these corrections as widely as the original
article.  I am respecting your explicit copyright in not distributing the
corrections myself.

Eric Katz
NCSA Information Server Administrator
(217) 244-4211