Re: Lotus Notes -- Too much Hype !!!

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Thu, 8 Sep 1994 21:29:14 +0200

In message <199409081759.MAA26777@curly.cc.utexas.edu>, Ravi Kalakota writes:

>Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com) pointed out something I didn't
>think about earlier. Notes was meant for GroupWare and many-to-
>many interaction to foster better communication in the organization.
>A laudable achievement indeed.
>
>WWW is meant for a "Digital Library" or an electronic publishing
>paradigm based on "Open Systems" (yes! I dare to use the term). It
>fosters the notion of non-interactive publishing as a method of
>communication.

I bet TimBL would cry if he heard you say that. Perhaps for some folks
WWW is meant to be a publishing system. But the original WWW client
was also an editor. It did not encourage the producer-consumer model
fostered by Mosaic -- it was much closer to the peer-peer relationship
of USENET.

With the advent of a few tools, the web should once again take on
the collaborative nature that it was meant to from day one.

Dan