Re: What's the standard for non-standard extensions?

wmperry@spry.com
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 22:11:19 +0100

Kee Hinckley writes:

> I'm generating pages in which I want to store meta information of
> interest to my HTML editing tools and to some of my server applications.
>
> I currently do something like:
>
> <!-- metainfo --> html code <!- /metainfo -->
>
> That obviously works, but is it necessary?

I'd say do it this way, because it won't generate errors in 'strict'
browsers that have the option to spit out warnings about unknown tags,
ommitted tags, etc. (currently Arena does a great job of this, and
emacs-w3 does some of it)

You can also use the META tag. Something like:

<META NAME="SOMEINFO" CONTENT="SOMEDATA">

> Is it legit for me to do something like this?
>
> <UImetainfo> html code </UImetainfo>
>
> That simplifies my parsing code, makes other tools available to me, etc.
> But of course it's non-standard. Also, these aren't extensions that I
> would anticipate being of any use to anyone else.

-Bill P.