Re: Automatic Page Updates

Philip Knightbridge (pjk@cee.hw.ac.uk)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 19:50:40 +0100

From: Mark J Cox <M.J.Cox@bradford.ac.uk>

> On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Bill Allocca wrote:
> > Is there any way in HTTP for a Server to automatically update a page
> > without requiring the user of the client to click on anything?
>
> The HTTP documentation mentions the Expires: header which "Gives the date
> after which the information ceases to be valid and should be retrieved
> again" to "allow for the periodic refreshing of displays of volitile
> data".

This is fine for the whole page but in some instances only a part of a
page is likely to require an update (specifically - for my work -
camera images from remote sites).

Would it not be possible to attach an expire attribute to individual
parts of a page ? (getting more and more like individual information
objects making up a page !)

Phil

__
|_) |/ (Inet: pjk@cee.hw.ac.uk) Computing and Electrical Eng.