Computer Science 547 - Presentation Report
CSCW and Groupware
Jason Cornick and Stephen Leung
What is CSCW?
- The study of the utilization of computers as a tool to facilitate
projects being worked upon by multiple persons
- A discipline examining the effects of computers on cooperative
What is Groupware?
- The actual software and hardware that is used by people to
work together using computers.
- Groupware is the implementation of the theories we get from
Why do people use it?
- Increased Efficiency
- Lotus claims Notes creates a return on investment that averages
- Reducing Geographic Barriers
- Allows people anywhere in the world to work together
- Faster Cooperation
- Enhances the interchange of ideas and work in a group setting
How do people use it?
- Process Support
- Communication Infrastructure
- Process Structure
- Task Support
- Informational and Computational Support
- Task Structure
- Analysis and Decision Support
Who is using it? Where?
- The modern corporation is becoming a much more global entity,
and this has sparked a huge growth in commercial groupware
- Research and educational facilities are also using groupware
to enhance "production"
When is it used?
One of the nice things about groupware is the way it can allow
people to overcome not only geographic barriers, but temporal
- The use of the computer allows participants to work asynchronously,
or at the same time, depending upon their requirements
Please go to Stephen's Section
to see what some elements of groupware are, and to look at some