Re: mailto and subjects

Luke (ylu@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)
Mon, 10 Jul 95 22:54:47 EDT

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995 Jonsm@aol.com wrote:
> I would like to propose a different mechanism for mailto. The idea is to use
> hidden form fields instead of attribute tags. When processing the mailto URL
> the browser would look for form fields whose name matches mail header lines
> such as To, CC, Subject, etc. These form fields would then be copied into the
> appropriate places in the mailto submission to the mail server. Note that
> these fields do not have to be hidden; the method supports end-user editing
> of the fields.

I thought it is a good idea. To generalize it a a little bit so it
can be orthognal of HTML: mail headers can be infered from name=value
pairs by no matter what mechanisms (e.g., HTML forms or whatever). A
logical extension of mailto URL definition is to allow the usual URL
encoding like http, so mailto:you@mailhost?subject=stuff&cc=he%40mailhost
would work fine.

__Luke