Abstract and status of Internet draft for HTML 2.0?

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU)
Fri, 11 Nov 94 09:38:12 EST

Dan Connolly writes:

> In message <94Nov10.135022pst.2760@golden.parc.xerox.com>,
> Larry Masinter writes:
>>This internet draft is for consideration by the HTML working group for
>>inclusion in HTML.
>
> In HTML 2.0? In a future revision?
>
> I don't think it's practical to include this in HTML 2.0.

I'd say it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it
into 2.0. Given that it is a serious functionality change, I would
mark it as 3.0.

>> The current draft HTML specification <URL:http://www.hal.com/
>> %7Fconnolly/html-spec/spyglass-19941014/html-19941014.txt.Z>
>
> Eric: could you send the 19941014 HTML draft to the internet draft
> editor?

Yikes, no, please don't do that. That version has substantial errors
that were fixed in the editorial review. However, it would be appropriate
at this time to send in an abstract and ask for a filename. But, before
that is done, the current abstract needs to be trimmed down to something
more RFC-like. For example:

ABSTRACT

HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is a simple markup system used
to create hypertext documents which are portable from one platform
to another. HTML documents are SGML documents with generic semantics
that are appropriate for representing information from a wide range
of applications. HTML markup can represent: hypertext news, mail,
documentation, and hypermedia; menus of options; database query
results; simple structured documents with in-lined graphics; and,
hypertext views of existing bodies of information.

HTML has been in use by the World Wide Web (WWW) global information
initiative since 1990. This specification reflects current usage of
HTML, as implemented by WWW clients prior to June 1994, and referred
to as "HTML/2.0". HTML/2.0 is an application conforming to
International Standard ISO 8879 -- Standard Generalized Markup
Language (SGML), and is proposed as an Internet Media Type (RFC 1590)
and MIME Content Type (RFC 1521).

Comments?

Do we have a Chair for this group? I know that Tim was asking around,
but have not heard of any resolution to that question.

.....Roy Fielding ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine USA
<fielding@ics.uci.edu>
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>