Re: REL and REV standard?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Sat, 12 Nov 94 17:51:40 EST

In message <9411101945.AA13475@hook.spyglass.com>, Eric Schieler writes:
>The REL and REV attributes of the anchor element are currently documented
>in the HTML 2 spec as *proposed* attributes. However, it has been suggested
>that these attributes are common practice.
>
>What is the consensus of the group?

The current DTD (dated 1994/09/26 16:10:19) says:

<!ENTITY % linkType "NAME"
-- a list of these will be specified at a later date -->

<!ENTITY % linkExtraAttributes
"REL %linkType #IMPLIED -- forward relationship type --
REV %linkType #IMPLIED -- reversed relationship type
to referent data --
URN CDATA #IMPLIED -- universal resource number --

TITLE CDATA #IMPLIED -- advisory only --
METHODS NAMES #IMPLIED -- supported public methods of the object:
TEXTSEARCH, GET, HEAD, ... --
">

So REL/REV are standard attributes whose values are constrained
to the syntax of an SGML name (i.e. /[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9\.\-]*/),
but there is no standard set of values (like PARENT, PRECEDES,
STYLESHEET, OWNER, REPLY-TO).

I guess that's a fairly accurate description of the current state of
affairs. We should probably discuss the future plans for REL/REV a
little bit to be sure that this discription is consistent with the
future plans.

For example, I'd like for browsers to have standard up/next/previous/top
buttons outside the HTML text area. A document might say:

<head>
<link rel="parent" href="../index.html">
<link rel="next" href="section_4.html">
<link rev="next" href="section_2.html">
</head>

<h1>animals</h1>

<ol>
</ol>

This would tell the browser where to link its next/previous/up
buttons. Plus, it would allow tools to be built to walk a tree of
parent/child documents and, for example, print out the aggregate, or
display a graphical map or table of contents.

So I don't know what prose to put in the spec, but I think REL/REV
are standard attributes at this point.

I think.

Dan