Re: Nov 28 draft

Paul Grosso (pbg@texcel.no)
Fri, 2 Dec 94 12:24:42 EST

> Subject: Re: Nov 28 draft
> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:48:31 -0600
> From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>
>
> I've completed another revision. Unfortunately, this stuff isn't in
> the recent internet draft, but see if this addresses your concerns:
>
> From: http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/html-spec/html-pubtext.html
>
> Changes in the November 30 Revision
> ====================================
>
> o Integrated ICADD SDA attributes and APPINFO (Thanks
> to Jeff Suttor)
> o Updated catalog etc. with new FPIs (formal public
> identifiers).
> Old format: "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN//2.0"
> New format: "-//IETF//DTD 2.0 HTML//EN"
> o Changed FUNCTION character syntax: uncommented the
> real one, commented out the hack version.
> o Added FPI's and public text for "Strict" versions of the
> DTD (e.g. "-//IETF//DTD HTML Strict Level
> 1//EN" maps to html-1s.dtd)
> o Changed FPI used to reference ISO latin 1 entities.
> o Changed a bunch of + occurence indicators to * for clarity
> o Changed some parameter entities to comply with SGML
> tokenization rules.

Looks pretty good. Two comments:

1. Above in your "Changes in the November 30 Revision" list, you
show the "New Format" FPIs wrong--with the "2.0" before "HTML".
However, it looked correct to me in the DTD, but I'm in a bit
of a hurry. You might just confirm that all occurrences in
all the various DTDs are consistent.

2. In the DTD, you missed correcting one bad parameter entity,
the one in "Document Head." Here is a relevant excerpt from
my earlier message:

Non-compliant use of parameter entities
---------------------------------------

There are several occurrences of non-compliant use of parameter entities
in the latest DTD. In brief, you cannot define a parameter entity with
"dangling" connectors such as "| FORM | ISINDEX".

. . .

Therefore, in the declarations below, the leading "|" and "&" are
connectors but are not "intervening" and so are in error:

<!ENTITY % block.forms "| FORM | ISINDEX">
<!ENTITY % head.link "& LINK*">
<!ENTITY % head.nextid "& NEXTID?">

There are several ways to rearrange things to be valid. Here I
make one suggestion:

. . .

<![ %HTML.Recommended [
<!ENTITY % head.content "TITLE & ISINDEX? & BASE? & META* & LINK*">
]]>

<!ENTITY % head.content "TITLE & ISINDEX? & BASE? & META* & NEXTID? & LINK*">