Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

Eric W. Sink (eric@spyglass.com)
Fri, 16 Dec 94 11:18:51 EST

Dave Kristol wrote:

>My tastes (obviously) run to a more evolutionary approach for HTTP. I'm
>unconvinced that the performance problems require a flash cut to a binary
>protocol. Spero has shown that doing multiple transactions over one
>connection achieves signficant performance improvements. His response is
>to change HTTP drastically. Mine is to do so within the current overall
>design.

Agree. It certainly does seem that most of the performance improvements
made by HTTP-NG could also be made in HTTP-TOS, with a simple modification
to allow multiple objects to be retrieved/posted over a single TCP/IP
connection.

Are we really willing to switch to something totally different and
incompatible, just to eke that last 10% speed improvement? I'm skeptical.

--
Eric W. Sink, Senior Software Engineer --  eric@spyglass.com
                                           I don't speak for Spyglass.