Re: SUMMARY: Running X/Mosaic from behind a firewall

Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu>
To: marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen)
Cc: Marc VanHeyningen          <mvanheyn@cs.indiana.edu>,
        www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Running X/Mosaic from behind a firewall
Phone: +1 408 246 8253; fax: +1 408 249 6205
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 14:43:47 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu>

    ---- Included message:

    Not to try to leave people using 20-year-old technology in the dust,
    but I'm not sure what the point is of encouraging anything less than
    use of SLIP et al at this time...

It's always challenging to decide where a cut-off should be.  Just how
modest a set of resources is acceptable?

My view is that deferred-connectivity access (e.g., email only) is
likely to be a very significant functional reality for many people
for a long time.  Issues both of technology and organizational
behavior seem to dictate it.

Hence, being able to handle highly-asynchronous interactions with
substantial latencies (at least minutes) is almost certain to increase
the scope of utility for the Web substantially.

Honest.

d/