simple HTML list considered harmful

kevin@scic.intel.com (Kevin Altis)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 16:06:33 -0800
To: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
From: kevin@scic.intel.com (Kevin Altis)
Subject: simple HTML list considered harmful
Well, I don't know how I managed to write so much HTML without coming
across this problem before, but I ran into the following today. I wanted to
have a simple block of text, I'll use an address as an example:

First Last
Address line 1
Address line 2
City, State, Zip
Phone
Fax
email

I wanted the lines to appear exactly as above. If I used a <P> at the end
of each line, I would get unwanted leading between lines. If I use the
<PRE> tag then the text would have to appear in a monospaced typeface. If I
used the <UL>, <OL>, <MENU>... lists then I get bullets or numbers in front
of the lines. If I did something like:

<DL>
<DD>First Last
<DD>Address line 1
</DL>

then the text gets indented. So, the STUPID QUESTION of the day is how can
I make a simple list of left aligned lines without extra leading between
lines or bullets or line numbers or indents or being forced to use a
monospaced font? This seems like it should be a fairly common thing to do
and shouldn't require anything more complicated the paragraph tag or list
tags. I should also be able to put in whatever emphasis I want for each
line or for each word in the line.

ka