Re: object oriented data models and client side CGI

"Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 21:59:11 +0200
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: object oriented data models and client side CGI
In message <Pine.3.89.9406171538.H324-0100000@gator.cminds.com>, Paul Everitt w
rites:

>How timely that you should mention python.  I have had a great number of
>ideas in my head, and have been wondering whether to try them in python,
>tcl, or smalltalk.

Python is cool. Tcl is quick-and-dirty, but doesn't scale well.
(the Tk canvas widget sure is neat... too bad we have to build
products using OSF/Motif's libXm and Tk doesn't interoperate)

Anybody checked out Modula-3 and Obliq? See

	http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/drafts/web-research.html#obliq

I've done quite a bit of work with python... I've linked several
modules from libWWW into the python interpreter... SGML.c and
HTML_DTD.c, for example.  So I can parse HTML using C code, and do
other stuff using python. Guido also integrated motif and the HTML
widget into the pythonn interpreter. So you can build nifty Web
clients in no time. I added SOCKs support under Guido's libHTTP and
stuff. Works great! I only wish I had time to prepare it for
distribution...

You should also check out WINTERP, if you're into rapid-prototyping
environments.

I look forward to the day when in stead of everybody shipping diff's
to the mosaic source code, we can just install little interpreted (or
dynamically linked) modules -- kinda like the Andrew Toolkit module,
but with sufficient industry support that folks are willing to base
products on the technology. Folks should be able to combine modules
in the same process or in separate processes.

Check out the ILU project too...

	ftp://parcftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

Also... we need to get this CCI stuff rolling quick: we need a
hypertext clipboard in X, drag-and-drop stuff... even perhaps
secure RPC between client applets.

Has the NCSA Mosaic development team made their CCI ideas available
for review?

Dan