Re: mirror for www?

miked@CERF.NET (Michael A. Dolan)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 23:07:41 +0200
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: miked@CERF.NET (Michael A. Dolan)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: mirror for www?
At 05:06 PM 6/21/94 +0200, Rainer Klute wrote:

>>        I now have a little problem. When I see a html of interest,
>>I would like to retrieve it, to read it locally and avoid to connect
>>a lot of times.
>
>That's what a caching proxy is good for, isn't it?

I believe the original author was trying to minimize the connect time
from his computer to the Internet Service Provider, not the socket connects
to the remote httpd.

It is not practical to run a local (caching) httpd on many computers used
to access the Internet, especially ones used for part-time connections such
as a PC, Mac, etc.

Thus, it would be desirable to be able to "batch up" requests for HTML,
"cache" them locally, and read them while not paying $$ for idle connect
time.

This is basically the same problem that exists with email and news.

        Mike

Michael A. Dolan - miked@cerfnet.com
TerraByte Technology (619) 445-9070