Re: HTML Character Representation/Transmission Model

Lou Montulli (montulli@netscape.com)
Tue, 11 Apr 95 01:25:18 EDT

On Apr 11, 12:37am, Glenn Adams wrote:
> Subject: HTML Character Representation/Transmission Model

[......]

> After considering the above, I think that overall, it is probably
> best to specify a single document character set and to make that
> character set ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993. If it were not for the problem
> of translating numeric character references, one could justify allowing
> multiple document character sets. Further, one cannot specify that
> all numeric character references refer to one document character set
> (e.g., ISO/IEC 10646), and then specify another document character set
> for the entity in which such references occur. At least one can't do
> so and remain consistent with SGML.

I agree with you up to the point of the specific universal character set.
The default character set must remain 8859-1 and numeric character
references must continue to map to 8859-1, this has been the
default since the creation of HTML and must continue to be the default.

--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/
       Netscape Communications Corp.