Re: Interpretation of RE

Keith M. Corbett (kmc@specialform.com)
Tue, 11 Apr 95 14:24:27 EDT

At 04:46 PM 4/10/95 -0700, Arthur van Hoff wrote:

>> This must be based on clause 7.6.1 of the SGML standard, which states "If an
>> RS in content is not interpreted as markup, it is ignored."
>
>That is where I got my information from. This rule is ignored by most
>browsers inside a PRE element though. Should it be?

Not as far as I'm concerned. Most HTML product vendors don't take the SGML
standard seriously, probably because most web info providers are not much
concerned with document interchange, structure driven search, etc.

>What is nsgmls?

An application of James Clark's sp parser, and a successor to "sgmls". It's
freely available at places like the SGML archives at ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no.
I use nsgmls to validate HTML as SGML and translate the parser output into
"browser HTML".

-kmc