Re: <select>

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Fri, 14 Apr 95 01:36:38 EDT

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, Peter Flynn wrote:

> I *hate* interfaces that implement 6-7 levels of nested menu,
> especially when the menus are for configs, and aren't sticky, so every
> change has to start at ground zero: give me a commandline!

I agree with your feelings about deep levels but that shouldn't be a
standards issue ... though the standard might specify a minimum.
It is possible to do many ugly things with any GUI builder.

I see this as just one of many opportunities for improving forms and
there are possible alternatives like support for pop-up forms. The
gateway I just finished between the Web and a GUI vertical application
had much difficulty over lack of nesting. BUT more important, many of
the lists were generated dynamically, sometimes based on other inputs.

In the end we need to be careful. There are already good candidates for
full function remote GUI (X and Citrix at least). There is a balance to
be struck between HTML function as an interactive interface builder and
cost. We shouldn't try for everything but there is still a lot to be
done.

Sounds like developing a set of proposals for extending forms would be
a good sub-committee task. We still need to see some interest from
the implementors in participation.

Dave Morris