Re: REL and REV attributes (Was: More comments on HTML 3.0)

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Thu, 27 Apr 95 14:06:54 EDT

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Larry Masinter wrote:

> What with web-walkers and full-text search indices of the net these
> days, I'd rather have 'backup' mean 'go back to the place that you
> would have come from if you'd followed a normal route to this, rather
> than some index or hotlist entry'. From that point of view, a URL that
> merely invoked the browser's "back" button wouldn't be useful.

I think there are cases were the browsers BACK button is useful ... for
example, when a form is submitted and the user made a submission error.
The desired behavior is to go back to the form, fix the error and re-submit.
I write words to the effect. A visual button which looked exactly like a
FORM submit button but would do the BACK function would be a UI improvement.

I also agree with your (Larry M) notion that a content oriented BACK would
be desireable.

The composite of both of these requirements was the basis of my earlier
comments which included the desire for me to able to ask the browser to
draw a button on the screen which could have arbitrary anchor defined
meaning. Add then to the anchor the ability to request various browser
specific functions and I think we have a very useful general solution.

Dave Morris