Re: Comments on: "Character Set" Considered Harmful

Bob Jung (bobj@netscape.com)
Thu, 27 Apr 95 19:08:17 EDT

At 11:12 PM 4/26/95, Glenn Adams wrote:
> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 21:12:31 EDT
> From: bobj@netscape.com (Bob Jung)
>
> Yes, most popularly used character code set encodings are ASCII supersets.
> Are there any examples of ones that are not?
>
>Shift JIS. It maps \ to YEN SIGN instead of REVERSE SOLIDUS '\'
>and it maps ~ to OVERLINE rather than TILDE '~'. See JIS X 0201-1976.
>
>Regards,
>Glenn Adams

True, but the point is that these "ASCII" supersets all have the same
encodings for
the characters used in HTML tags -- this is what makes this convenient.

So, I should rephrase this as:

Yes, most popularly used character code set encodings are supersets
of the
ASCII characters used in HTML tags.
Are there any examples of ones that are not?

To my knowledge, no HTML tags use the '\' or '~' characters.

rgds,
bob

--
Bob Jung        bobj@netscape.com       +1 415 528-2688, fax +1 415 528-4122
Netscape Communications Corp.   501 E. Middlefield      Mtn View, CA   94041