Re: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Fri, 28 Apr 95 22:18:06 EDT

Gavin Nicol writes:
> >I was under the impression we needed this (10646 as the standard document
> >character set) for 2.0 in some form to resolve the question of numeric
> >character references, or else we needed to remove some language about other
> >charsets and make 2.0 talk about Latin-1 only.
>
> Again, isn't 2.0 about current practise, which in the area of
> character sets is: ISO 8859-1 is all we define behaviour for.

That's the way I see it. The 2.0 spec describes a set of features
that are widely deployed. Unicode is not widely deployed in web
browsers (and certainly wasn't in June '94...)

The internationalization issues deserve their own document, not
a "quick sneak" into the 2.0 document.

Dan