Re: Last call: Intro, SGML, MIME sections

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Thu, 4 May 95 18:58:23 EDT

On Thu, 4 May 1995, Alex Hopmann wrote:

> would stand out from the more "major" hyperlinks. It would be interesting to
> be able to distinguish a link as a glossary link or a non-glossary link and
> have the browser render them differently (Maybe make the glossary entries
> more subtle).

I agree ... I think there at least three reasons for hyperlinking to
other information ...
a) Define the structure of a collection
b) Reference related information
c) Reference a definition or detailed explanation
I believe mode (b) is what HTML and browsers do reasonably well today
and links become meaningless if used for (c) and clutter the view with
two many links.

And I think coding this differentiation of structural intent must be
dealt with in a future 2.+ level of HTML. My sense for the moment is
that REV/REL and/or ROLE attributes in the HTML 3.0 draft have the
potential for addressing the problem IFF we at least have some set
of pre-defined values to represent these modes. Once the structure is
coded, browsers can differentiate them selves by how well / uniquely
they present this information.

Dave MOrris